- We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other’s happiness, not by each other’s misery.
- I remain just one thing, and one thing only, and that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician.
- Man as an individual is a genius. But men in the mass form the headless monster, a great, brutish idiot that goes where prodded.
- What do you want a meaning for? Life is a desire, not a meaning.
- Laughter is the tonic, the relief, the surcease for pain.
- I suppose that’s one of the ironies of life doing the wrong thing at the right moment.
- I had no idea of the character. But the moment I was dressed, the clothes and the make-up made me feel the person he was. I began to know him, and by the time I walked onto the stage he was fully born.
- I thought I would dress in baggy pants, big shoes, a cane and a derby hat. everything a contradiction: the pants baggy, the coat tight, the hat small and the shoes large.
- Brunettes are troublemakers. They’re worse than the Jews.
- All I need to make a comedy is a park, a policeman and a pretty girl.
August 11, 2016
“You don’t die if you fall in water, you die only if you don’t swim.” …